Fluffy, Healthy Chocolate Mousse From Aquafaba (Garbanzo Bean Water)
I kind of freaked out when my daughter said I could make Chocolate Mousse with the water from the can of garbanzo beans. She hadn’t actually tried it yet, so I had to! It makes a super light and fluffy Chocolate Mousse,
Open a can of garbanzo beans right now and pour the contents into a strainer over a bowl. See that liquid? It’s called aquafaba, and when you beat it, it whips up like egg whites! WHAT?! Here’s everything you need:
- 1 can garbanzo beans
- 3 T honey, agave or pure maple syrup (some people like more – but this is just right to me!)
- 1/2 C melted dark chocolate
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract, or 1/4 tsp mint or almond extract
- Melt the 1/2 C chocolate, then let cool a bit.
- Beat the aquafaba till it whips up nice and fluffy – this takes LONGER than with egg whites.
- Add in the chocolate, agave and extract and fold in with a spatula till no streaks remain. Remember to FOLD, not beat or stir so it stays fluffy.
- Pour into serving dishes. Mine filled 5 – 6 oz ramekins.
- Chill at least 3 hours.
Enjoy just as it is, or top with fruit!
If you use agave or pure maple syrup as a sweetener, this makes a delicious vegan dessert. It’s gluten free, has no processed sugar, and you don’t have to worry about consuming raw eggs either.
We enjoyed this so much! It’s a super light version of Chocolate Mousse and stays fluffy for a couple of days in the fridge. It’s so easy to make, your kids can do it while you sit on the couch and relax – for three hours while it chills.